28 November 2021

RIP Grandmaster Park Jong Soo

Grandmaster Park Jong Soo and Dr. Sanko Lewis (2014)

I am saddened to hear that Grandmaster Park Jong Soo – one of the most prominent (ITF) Taekwon-Do pioneers and one of the original grandmasters – passed away this weekend in Canada. I tried to contact him a month or two ago, but without success. One of his students told me that he is not doing well, so his passing didn’t come as a complete surprise, but it is still sad and a terrible loss for the global martial arts and (ITF) Taekwon-Do community. He was a phenomenal martial artist who inspired thousands of people.
 
Grandmaster Park is one of the “lineages” I claim, as he was the mentor of my instructor, Master Kim Hoon. I also did my last Taekwon-Do black belt test to 5th Dan with Grandmaster Park in April 2014. Master Kim Hoon insisted that I grade directly under Grandmaster Park so that I could have the honour of having been tested by one of the original ITF Taekwon-Do grandmasters. It was indeed a privilege to have met Grandmaster Park on several occasions. Even at his advanced age he had a powerful charisma that inspired admiration and respect. 
 
One memorable moment with Grandmaster Park that suddenly stands out to me now was directly before my 5th Dan test when I and my student Cory Wells who tested for his 2nd Dan went to pick up Grandmaster Park at his hotel and drive him to the dojang where the test were to take place. The traffic was somewhat heavy, so the ride was a bit slower than expected, but it also afforded us more time to just chit-chat as we made our way through Seoul. Grandmaster Park commented on the different landmarks he recognized and how dramatically Seoul had changed since the time of his youth. It was a sweet moment to share in his reminiscences. He talked about the political situation, the governance of Park Chonghee, his times with General Choi Hong Hi, and several other memories. It reminded me anew how much Taekwon-Do is connected with the modern history of Korea, with the politics and with the nation that took up the charge to rebuild themselves after the decades of Imperial oppression and the wars. Also, seeing Seoul through his eyes made me fall in love with the city I now call home all over again.
 
Cory Wells, Sanko Lewis, Grandmaster Park Jong Soo, Master Kim Hoon (April 2014)
 

I extend my condolences to Grandmaster Park’s family, loved ones, and many students. His impact was prodigious, and he will be greatly missed. Taekwon!

No comments: