General Choi Hong-Hi
Founder of "Taekwon-Do" (1955)
Founder of ITF (1966)
Grandmaster Rhee Ki Ha
Head of the U.K.T.A (1967)
Grandmaster Park Jong Soo
Founder (SATI) South African Taekwon-Do Institute (1976)
Master Kim Hoon (VIII Dan)
'The Way' Martial Arts,
Seoul, South Korea
Johan Bolton (IV Dan)
Sanko Lewis (V Dan)
Soo Shim Kwan
(Originally Potchefstroom Regional Academy, founded 1998)
Current Soo Shim Kwan instructors:
'The Way' Martial Arts
Seoul, South Korea
Philip de Vos
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Limpopo, South Africa
Mr Sanko Lewis received his instruction mainly from Mr Bolton and trained at times under two of Mr Bolton's black belt students, instructors Gerd Hummel and Rudey Brittz. Mr Lewis, after relocating to South Korea, started training and teaching Taekwon-Do under Master Kim Hoon, a student of Grandmaster Park Jong Soo.
Ms Yolandi Müller and Mr Jaco de Bruyn received most of their primary training under Mr Lewis, but did most of their testing under Mr Bolton. Mr Gerhard Louw received his instruction from Mr Rudey Brittz, a black belt under Mr Bolton, and did his primary testing under Mr Bolton. Mr Philip de Vos received his primary training with Mr de Bruyn and Mr Lewis, and most of his colour belt testing under Mr Lewis.
A Short History of the Soo Shim Kwan
- Mr. Sanko Lewis receives his basic training in Taekwon-Do in the Vaal Triangle, starting in 1994 with his brother Mr. Tiny Lewis.
- During his first year at the North West-University (Potchefstroom Campus) in 1997, Mr. Sanko Lewis acquires his first black belt (1st Dan) in Moo Duk Kwan Taekwon-Do under Sabeomnim Johan Bolton (4th Dan). Mr Bolton's syllabus was based on General Choi Hong-Hi's ITF Encyclopaedia and the books by Grandmaster Hee Il Cho.
- In 1998 Mr. Sanko Lewis opens the first Taekwon-Do dojang (school) in Potchefstroom. The dojang is affiliated to Moo Duk Kwan under the Vaal Triangle Federation. The dojang starts at the university’s Indoor Sport Centre with five players: Sanko Lewis, Jaco de Bruyn, Howard de Witt, Yolandi Müller and San-Maré Pretorius.
- In 1999 the school hosts the first PASIT (Potchefstroom All Styles Invitational Tournament). This tournament quickly becomes an institutional, with participants from various styles such as Taekwon-Do, Karate, Tang Soo Do, Jeet Kune Do and Kick Boxing, travelling from so far as Pretoria and Kimberley.
- During 2000 the Vaal Triangle Federation changes its affiliation from Moo Duk Kwan to the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF) via the North West Gauteng Federation, an affiliate of the South Africa-ITF (SA-ITF).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis passes his promotional test for second black belt (2nd Dan) in 2000 under Sabeomnim Ged Mackel (4th Dan). His certificate is issued by the ITF.
- Ms. Yolandi Müller becomes the first student from the Potchefstroom Dojang to test for black belt. She grades for 1st Dan under Sabeomnim Ged Mackel.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis compiles the first syllabus.
- Under the guidance of Mr. Sanko Lewis the Potchefstroom Regional Federation (PRF) is officially founded on 4 March 2001 at the SA-ITF’s Annual General Meeting. It caters for the North West Province focussing on the Potchefstroom area, hence the name "Potchefstroom Regional".
- During the same year the PRF becomes the first ITF federation to receive recognition from a tertiary institution in South Africa. The North West-University (Potchefstroom Campus) acknowledges ITF Taekwon-Do as an official varsity sport. Mr. Sanko Lewis acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2001).
- Mr. Jaco du Bruyn becomes the second 1st degree black belt, also testing under Sabeomnim Ged Mackel.
- As part of their community service the PRF hosts a series of self-defence courses for female hostel students at the university.
- The PRF also hosts a self-defence course in collaboration with postgraduate psychology students at Ikalafeng, a school for mentally challenged children. This course is conducted by Ms. Melanie Viljoen. A short promotional video of the event is made.
- The syllabus is expanded into a manual.
- Ms. Melanie Viljoen acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2001-2002) and also as federation secretary. The third edition of the manual is made available.
- The Potchefstroom University Dojang competes for the first time at varsity level against the University of the Orange Free State’s WTF Taekwon-Do team, during the annual intervarsity. Potchefstroom hosts the tournament.
- A self-defence seminar is again hosted at Ikalafeng in collaboration with the Department of Psychology. The seminar is presented by Ms. Tony van der Merwe.
- Mr. Xander van Dyk acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2002-2003).
- At the 4th Annual Conference of the SA-ITF major changes are made to the structure of the SA-ITF. All federations at the time are renamed “Academies” and these academies are clustered together into eleven groups, now called “Kwan” or “Federations”. The Soo Shim Kwan is founded, with Mr. Sanko Lewis as kwanjangnim (federation head).The PRF is dubbed the Potchefstroom Regional Academy [PRA] and is the first academy affiliated to the Soo Shim Kwan. Ms. Yolandi Müller is appointed as vice-head of the PRA.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis moves from Potchefstroom, North West Province to Mtunzini, KwaZulu Natal Province. Mr. Jaco de Bruyn takes over as instructor in Potchefstroom, with Mr. Stuward Rautenbach as assistant instructor.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed as Information Director for the SA-ITF’s National Executive.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis acts on the organizing committee for the 2003 SA-ITF National Taekwon-Do Championships hosted in Richardsbay, KwaZulu Natal. He also designs the event's logo, medals, t-shirts, etc.
- The PRA puts in a bid to host the 2004 SA-ITF National Taekwon-Do Championships.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed "acting federation head" for the Shim Duk Kwan (2003-2004), until the federation appoints a federation head.
- Mr. Burton Kirsten acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2003-2004).
- The fourth edition of the manual ("Soo Shim Kwan - Colour Belt Handbook") is made available.
- Mr. Jaco du Bruyn completes his postgraduate studies at the North West University and moves from Potchefstroom, North West Province to Tzaneen, Limpopo Province.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis resumes his master’s degree at the North West University and again takes over as the instructor of the Potchefstroom dojang.
- The Soo Shim Kwan and PRF hosts the 2004 SA-ITF National Taekwon-Do Championships in Potchefstroom. The event stretches over two days (29-30 May). Various guests of honour, including 9th Dan Grandmaster Leong, Wei Meng, attends the event. The championships sets a new standard for future national Taekwon-Do championships in South Africa. Mr. Sanko Lewis and his organizing committee receive an Award of Excellence from the SA-ITF’s Managing Director, Mr. Dirk Nel.
- The SA-ITF’s National Council appoints Mr. Sanko Lewis to act on the National Board of Directors as Director General: Information.
- The Northern Cape Academy (founded in 2004 by Mr. Daniel Jacobs) affiliates to the Soo Shim Kwan.
- Mr. Gerrit Louw acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2004-2005).
- SA-ITF provides two Korean instructors (7th Dan Master, Kim Jong-Su and 6th Dan Instructor, Kim Jong-Chol) for five months (February-June) to instruct one session a week at the Potchefstroom University Dojang. Technical proficiency improves tremendously during this time.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis tests for 3rd degree under the Korean Instructors.
- Mr. Philip de Vos tests for red belt under Instructor Kim, Jong-Chol.
- The Soo Shim Kwan hosts its first of many future pressure point seminars, presented by Mr. Andre Dippenaar.
- The Shim Duk Kwan appoints a federation head. Mr. Sanko Lewis tables their request at the Annual General Meeting. Mr. Tiny Lewis is accepted as the new federation head for the Shim Duk Kwan.
- An update, restructuring and editing of the "Soo Shim Kwan - Colour Belt Handbook" commences in December 2005.
- Ms. Retha Fritz acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2005-2006) and as Soo Shim Kwan secretary (2006-2008).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis completes his master's degree at the North West-University and takes a sabbatical.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis leaves for the Republic of Korea.
- Mr. Philip de Vos takes over as the Potchefstroom Instructor under the guidance of Mr. Sanko Lewis.
- Mr. Willem Bosshoff acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2006-2007).
- Ms. Retha Fritz acts as assistant instructor.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis receives a 1st degree black belt in Hapkido from the Korean Hapkido Federation 대한합기도협회 and returns to South Africa and Potchefstroom towards the latter part of the year.
- The SA-ITF’s National Council creates a Research and Education Directorate. Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed chairperson and Mr. Tristian Vardy is appointed chairperson of the Information Directorate. Mr. Sanko Lewis is also appointed to assist with writing protocols for the Promotions Directorate (which is chaired by Master Kim Jong-Su) and editing the national colour belt syllabus.
- The Soo Shim Kwan hosts the first experimental "diversification workshop" under the auspices of the Research and Education Directorate and includes Taekwon-Do, boxing, grappling and Hapkido instruction.
- Mr. Rijnhardt Maneschijn acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2008-2009).
- Ms. Khatija Peerbhai takes over as Soo Shim Kwan secretary, assisted by Ms. Retha Fritz.
- Ms. Retha Fritz works as chief translator of the Taekwon-Do’s Training Secrets and the Theory of Power, from English into Afrikaans. The translations are published in the July 2008 issue of The Sidekick – the SA-ITF’s electronic magazine and the Afrikaans version of the Theory of Power is made available on the SA-ITF’s official website.
- The Soo Shim Kwan and Shim Duk Kwan collaborate to co-host a series of technical seminars with Master Kim Jong-Su and commence in July.
- Also in July, a Soo Shim Kwan blog is started.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis accepts a position at a Korean university and returns to Korea in August.
- Mr. Philip de Vos tests for his 1st Dan under Master Kim Jong-Su (7th Dan at the time, currently 8th Dan).
- Mr. Philip de Vos resumes as instructor of the Potchefstroom Club.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis joins the main ITF Taekwon-Do dojang in Seoul, Korea, under ITF-Korea's Secretary-General, Mr. Kim Hoon.
- Mr. Rijnhardt Maneschijn acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2009-2010).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed as an ad hoc member of the ITF-Korea national governing body, as 국제 교류 외원 (International Liaison Officer / Intercultural Exchange Officer).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed an instructor at the main ITF Taekwon-Do dojang in Seoul.
- In his role as Research and Education Director for the SA-ITF, Mr. Sanko Lewis conducts research to establish the history of Taekwon-Do in South Africa. It is confirmed that the first Taekwon-Do training group came from the Vaal Triangle, which is also the direct lineage of the Soo Shim Kwan.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis provides the first draft for the “Golden Fist” logo to be used by the SA-ITF for participants receiving national colours.
- Mr. Rijnhardt Maneschijn acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2010-2011).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is interviewed by Senior Master George Vitale (8th Dan) and Mr. Lawn Van Le for the documentary on Taekwon-Do history, “Our Moral Armor.”
- Mr. Philip de Vos presents a series of self-defence seminars for female hostel students at the North-West University (Potchefstroom Campus).
- Mr. Philip de Vos is promoted to a Three-Star "SA-ITF School Instructor," in accordance with the requirements of the SA-ITF.
- SA-ITF Executive President, Mr. Dirk Nel, invites Mr. Sanko Lewis to be part of the President's Council -- a special group convened at the president's request to address high priority and/or sensitive issues.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis helps with the negotiations for and transition of the assimilation of our sister federation, the Shim Duk Kwan, into the Dan Gun Kwan.
- Mr. Franco Mocke is appointed SA-ITF Website Administrator (2010-2012), a function residing under the Research & Education Directorate until the beginning of 2013).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis becomes a regular contributor to Totally Tae Kwon Do (electronic) magazine.
- Mr. Juan Dyason acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2011-2012).
- Mr. Gerhard Louw joins the Soo Shim Kwan and affiliates his dojang in Bela Bela (Warmbaths) with the SA-ITF. The name Horangi 호랑이, meaning "Tiger", and referring to Korea's legendary white tigers, is chosen for the dojang.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis organises the Vaal Taekwon-Do Reunion, during which time the early history of Taekwon-Do in South Africa is recorded.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis and Mr. Franco Mocke redesigns the official SA-ITF website.
- Mr. Charl du Plessis acts as temporary instructor of the Potchefstroom dojang.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis receives a 2nd degree black belt certification in Hapkido from the Korean Hapkido Federal Union 대한합기도총연맹.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis receives a "Citation" by the Taekwondo Hall of Fame.
- Mr. Juan Dyason acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2012-2013).
- Mr. Philip de Vos is appointed Co-Academy Head of the Potchefstroom Regional Academy.
- The "Potchefstroom Regional Academy", a structure within the SA-ITF, is renamed as the "Moodo Academy".
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is appointed Director of the Research-Education-Marketing-and-Information Directorate of the SA-ITF. (The Research & Education Directorate and Marketing & Information Directorate were merged for one term 2012-2013.)
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is tasked with researching an appropriate name to represent Taekwon-Do styles in South Africa with a Chang Hon lineage. His proposal of "South African Chang Hon Ryu Association" (SACHRA) is adopted. The SACHRA becomes a MASA (Martial Arts South Africa) affiliate in 2013.
- Mr. Philip de Vos is selected as MASA representative for the North-West Province.
- Mr. Philip de Vos receives his 2nd degree black belt certification in ITF Taekwon-Do in December, testing under Sabeomnim Karel Wethmar (5th Dan).
- Miss Jodi Siecker acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2013-2014).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis commences with PhD studies in South Korea, majoring in Physical Education: Taekwondo, with research focus in Martial Arts Philosophy.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is re-appointed Director of the Research and Education Directorate of the SA-ITF.
- Mr. Philip de Vos represents South Africa as part of the national team at the 2013 U-ITF World Championships in London, U.K., where he is part of the teams to win silver for male team power breaking and bronze for male team special technique breaking.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis receives a 3rd degree black belt certification in Hapkido from the Korean Hapkido Federal Union 대한합기도총연맹.
- Mr. Sanko Lewis is promoted to 5th degree black belt in ITF Taekwon-Do under Grandmaster Park Jung Soo at Master Kim Hoon's 'The Way' Martial Arts & Fitness in Seoul, South Korea.
- Mr. Philip de Vos is promoted to 3rd degree black belt in ITF Taekwon-Do under Grandmaster Hwang Kwang Sung, during the grandmaster's visit to South Africa.
- Miss Adele Wolmerans acts as Taekwon-Do chairperson at the North West-University’s Sport Bureau (2014-2015).
- Mr. Sanko Lewis presents an academic paper and poster at the 5th International Symposium on Taekwon-Do Studies, sponsored by the WTF.
- The Potchefstroom Taekwon-Do Club launches its new logo. The logo was principally conceived and designed by Mr. Sanko Lewis and aesthetically improved by Mr. John-Wesley Franklin. The impetus for a new corporate identity came from the club instructor, Mr. Philip de Vos.
- Dr. Sanko Lewis graduates from Kyunghee University (South Korea) with a PhD in Physical Education - Taekwondo, with research focus on East Asian Philosophy, Martial Arts and Ethics.
- Dr. Lewis helps to re-activate the South Africa Taekwon-Do Institute (SATI). He is principle author of its constitution, and functions as international liaison's officer. During the first AGM he is elected as Constitutional Director and Research-and-Education Director.
- Mr. Philip de Vos is elected as representative to Martial Arts South Africa (MASA) for SATI.
- Mr. Gerhard Louw is elected to SATI's National Training Camp Committee.
- Dr. Lewis is promoted to 4th Dan in Hapkido by the Korea Hapkido Federation 대한합기도협회.
- Dr. Lewis registers Soo Shim Kwan with the Korea Hapkido Federation 대한합기도협회 and obtains the official "Certificate of Dojang" 도장인증서.
- Dr Lewis hosts the first Hapkido seminar in South Africa, on 29 January, in Centurion, Pretoria.